Post-Doctoral Fellow / Scientist (Fisheries Assessment and Technology)
Mombasa, Mombasa County, Kenya International Contract 12 October 2023
“WorldFish is a leading international research organization working to transform aquatic food systems to reduce hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. It collaborates with international, regional, and national partners to co-develop and deliver scientific innovations, evidence for policy, and knowledge to enable equitable and inclusive impact for millions who depend on fish for their livelihoods. As a member of CGIAR, WorldFish contributes to building a food- and nutrition-secure future and restoring natural resources. Headquartered in Penang, Malaysia, with country offices across Africa, Asia, and the Pacific, WorldFish strives to create resilient and inclusive food systems for shared prosperity. For more information, visit: www.worldfishcenter.org”
About the Project
Animals, plants and microorganisms harvested and grown in water play a significant role in sustainably feeding and nourishing the world. Globally, 800 million people depend on small-scale fisheries and aquaculture for their livelihoods. But these vital aquatic food systems are hindered by the insecure livelihoods of those in related jobs, their low capacity to adapt to climate change, and the loss of marine nature.
The Asia-Africa BlueTech Superhighway project, supported through the UK’s Climate and Ocean Adaptation and Sustainable Transition (COAST) program under the umbrella of the Blue Planet Fund (BPF), will focus on enabling communities to adapt to and mitigate against climate change as well as responsibly and sustainably manage marine and coastal nature and resources resulting in improved food and nutritional security as well as employment and income opportunities. The project will be implemented in two phases over seven years, starting with Phase 1 in Bangladesh, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, and Tanzania.
About the PositionWorldFish is looking for a Post-doctoral Fellow, Fisheries Assessment & Management to be based in Mombasa, Kenya. This position is right for you if you have an advanced degree in fisheries ecology, management or a related discipline, extensive field experience in a developing country context, an interest in digital innovation and a genuine desire to make a difference.
This position will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation and coordination of the Kenya activities of the Digital COAST work package of the Asia-Africa BlueTech Superhighway project, funded by the UK Government. The project will be conducted in partnership with international NGO Wildlife Conservation Society, and in close collaboration with relevant agencies in Kenya, Tanzania and Mozambique (e.g. KMFRI, ZAFIRI, IDPPE). The position will work with national and international fisheries, governance, gender and nutrition specialists to develop and implement research approaches, technologies, and predictive models that guide fisheries decision-making and policy in Kenya.
Central objectives of the Digital COAST work package are to:
- Develop collaborative digital systems to monitor coastal fisheries exploitation in Kenya, Tanzania and Mozambique
- Use new ecological, biological and social evidence and knowledge to inform sustainable management and development of Kenya’s coastal fishery resources,
- Strengthening collaborative, locally-embedded partnerships to build successful co-management of fisheries resources,
- Strengthen the technical capacity of fisheries stakeholders to utilize and maintain monitoring systems for decision-making.
The successful candidate will be responsible to:
- Work with the project team and senior experts to develop ecological and digital research approaches and tools targeted at improving knowledge of resources, exploitation and sustainable co-management.
- Engage with WorldFish and partner scientists across other geographies to learn from, and contribute to, a growing body of work on coastal fisheries co-management and fisheries technology;
- Work with research, government and NGO partners to build capacity and implement key research activities;
- Take primary responsibility for research implementation, data collection, data validation, quality assurance and analysis under project activities;
- Under the guidance of senior team members, including the work package lead, produce high-quality scientific publications from project findings;
- Contribute to the development of policy advice and action plans on the implementation of digital fisheries monitoring systems and predictive models in Kenya;
- Contribute to the team ethos and shared objectives of WorldFish and project partners.
- Ensure timely reporting of project activities and outcomes per WorldFish and donor requirements.
Stakeholder and Donor Communication
- Ensure strong communication and coordination with local partners (WCS team members, Fishing communities, Beach Management Units, relevant district and national government officers).
- Represent the project and WorldFish in national and international fora.
This job might be for you if you have the below skills and qualifications:
- A PhD in Fisheries Management, Ecology or a closely related discipline (aquaculture degree holders will not be considered unless they can demonstrate extensive field experience and publication track record in the area of capture fisheries ecology and management).
- Proven ability to develop and apply novel approaches to research on marine ecosystems and fishery resource status.
- A strong track record of applied transdisciplinary research engaging with fishing communities to co-design management approaches and actions.
- Proven ability to work in remote locations for extended periods of time with minimal supervision.
- A strong team-player willing to dedicate time to building capacity among junior and national scientists, partners and students.
- Strong publication track record for stage of career in relevant international peer-reviewed journals.
- Competency with mixed-methods research approaches, methodologies and analyses.
- High degree of cultural sensitivity and proven record of effective working relationships in multi-disciplinary, diverse teams.
- Working proficiency in English and Kiswahili.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- History of applying research outcomes to policy development.
- Experience developing information and education materials for government and community stakeholders.
- Priority will be given to applicants with a track record of living for extended periods in less developed countries.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with annual salary ranging between USD 47,900 – USD 69,700 per annum (for Scientist level) and USD 40,900 – USD 47,000 per annum (for Post-Doctoral Fellow level). WorldFish’s IRS shall receive comprehensive health insurance, life insurance, accident, and long-term disability insurance. Internationally recruited staff employed outside of their home base/country of nationality will also be eligible to receive relocation assistance, a housing allowance, home-leave plane tickets for self and eligible dependents and education assistance for school-age dependents between age 4 and high school graduation. All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
The duration of the contract will initially be for a three-year period for Scientist position and two-year period for Post-Doctoral Fellow position with possibility for extension, depending on funding and performance.
How to Apply
Your application must include:
- A cover letter which addresses key requirements stated above;
- A current curriculum vitae; and
- Contact information of three professional referees who may be contacted if you are short-listed for the position.
To be considered, applications must be submitted by no later than 24:00 (MYT) 12 October 2023.
Location: The post holder will be based in Mombasa, Kenya. This position will involve international travel.
The screening will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Our Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
WorldFish has 7 offices across Asia, Africa and the Pacific, with more than 400 staff and 27 nationalities who contribute to a dynamic multicultural work environment.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity and inclusion is valued and we seek to have gender balance in the organization. We aim to also seek balance across other diversity dimensions.
People in WorldFish are treated equally irrespective of gender, ethnicity/race, national or social origin, disability, religion, political affiliation, age, family size, marital status or any other form of personal identity.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage qualified women and men from developing nations to apply.
WorldFish does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
- RefuSHE Jobs | Marketing, Communication, Operations, M&ECareers & Internships RefuSHE provides the full spectrum of care and protection for refugee girls, young women, and children in Kenya. We invite you to learn more about our open… Read more: RefuSHE Jobs | Marketing, Communication, Operations, M&E
- Sanergy Jobs | Impact Jobs | Sales Fundraising Finance OpsOur Job Offers Join us, we offer you an extraordinary chance to learn, to develop and to be part of an exciting experience and team. Credit Associate – MARCH 20245… Read more: Sanergy Jobs | Impact Jobs | Sales Fundraising Finance Ops
- MEDAIR Jobs | Global Positions| Operations Admin FinanceMedair Jobs Ukraine Program / Project Management | Field – International staff Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA) Advisor ROC Required Working as an important member of a diverse team who are committed… Read more: MEDAIR Jobs | Global Positions| Operations Admin Finance
- Article19 Jobs | Global Remote Hybrid PositionsArticle 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that everyone has the right to freedom of expression and opinion. This includes the right to hold opinions without interference… Read more: Article19 Jobs | Global Remote Hybrid Positions
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation EGPAF Jobs | Multiple Positions Africa Asia EU Americas|The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) is a nonprofit organization that works to prevent pediatric HIV infection and eliminate pediatric AIDS. EGPAF was founded in 1988 by Elizabeth Glaser, Susan DeLaurentis,… Read more: Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation EGPAF Jobs | Multiple Positions Africa Asia EU Americas|