Program Manager (Nairobi based)
Full-time · Nairobi – Kenya
Bopinc is a Dutch not-for-profit that accelerates the impact of market-driven and innovative business models in low-income markets. We support our clients in making their businesses more viable and inclusive by including people at the Base of the Pyramid as consumers, producers and entrepreneurs in the supply chain. Bopinc works with a wide variety of start-ups, SMEs and multinational companies to achieve this. Over the past ten years we have been working with more than 1,000 companies., reaching more than 4 million low-income consumers, while creating better income opportunities for over 110,000 low-income entrepreneurs.
Starting in November, Bopinc will implement a three-year multi-million USD program focused on supporting youth entrepreneurs as they pursue and grow entrepreneurial activities in the electronic waste sector in Kenya. Specifically, we want to open up opportunities in the e-waste sector for young women and men, with and without disabilities, as a previously under-utilized and under-supported workforce. Our approach relies on skill building through technical training, business coaching and facilitating access to markets and finance. That way the entrepreneurs can play a meaningful role in tackling the problem of e-waste becoming the fastest-growing waste stream and transitioning Kenya to a socially inclusive circular economy. Bopinc will implement the program together with a leading e-waste recycling company and a Kenyan development NGO. As we lead the consortium, we take responsibility for delivery of the program and report to the donor on expenditures, learnings and results.
The other program is of a similar size and duration but focuses on supporting SMEs in Kenya and Uganda that have innovative business models for bringing food losses and by-products back into the food system. The program generates important insights and recommendations that will be shared with stakeholders such as governments and investors so that together we can make circularity a mainstream approach for improved rural livelihoods and sustainability.
Please note that Bopinc has yet to sign a contract for both programs, meaning that this position and its start date are subject to change.
We are looking for a seasoned Program Manager with a track record of managing large entrepreneurship programs in the development sector, preferably focusing on renewable energy and agriculture. Specifically, candidates should be able to take end-to-end responsibility for the project and partnership, making sure the project yields the desired results with the given resources and partners are aligned and effectively collaborating.
You will be reporting to Bopinc’s country director in Kenya and the account manager for the donor that finances both programs.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead two of our programs, with overall responsibility for program strategy, implementation and management of the project.
- Managing complex partnerships and be the primary point of contact for our implementing partners, and other stakeholders involved in the program.
- Lead and manage development and implementation of project workplan, together with Bopinc team members, partners and other stakeholders.
- Manage, build and motivate a distributed project team of up to 10 staff members.
- Lead reporting to the donor, both contractual deliverables and regular progress updates.
- Assure quality of project deliverables, including M&E data and insights collected by our team and a 3rd party.
- Identify project risks and develop and manage mitigation strategies.
- Represent the project at external events and develop new partnerships with private and public sector organizations to amplify program impact.
- Lead the planning and implementation of monthly partner meetings.
- Build on the program to support new business development opportunities in circular agriculture and waste management , including prospecting and proposal writing.
Qualifications and educational requirements
- Master’s degree or equivalent in business administration, commerce, development economics and/or agribusiness
- At least 10 years of work experience of which 5 years in a similar role
- Experience in having senior management responsibility in multi-country programs with >€1M budget
- Experience in implementing projects in consortia with other organizations
- Affinity with entrepreneurship in the circular agriculture and e-waste domain
- Strong entrepreneurship acumen and experiences working with SMEs, startups, micro-enterprises, and the informal sector
- Excellent networking skills, being able to speak at events and represent the program
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Willing to occasionally travel to Uganda and to the Netherlands
Leading self and others
Acts as a positive role model collaborating and supporting the development of others.
Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Performance is consistent, even under pressure.
Expresses ideas in a clear, concise, and open manner. Handles conflict effectively, by finding common ground. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Fluent in English. Strong ability to prepare clear written reports.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, and thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization.
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them.
- A motivated, multidisciplinary and culturally diverse team of professionals
- Culture of dedication to delivery whilst also ensuring creativity and innovativeness
- Opportunity to travel to connect with our global team
- Market-based remuneration and conditions
- Flexible office hours and opportunity to work from home
JOB LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya (required)
Apply for the job:
Deadline: 1 October 2023
Interviews will take place in early October 2023.
Start date: Mid-November 2023
For questions please contact Beryl Oyier (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Only applications through this platform will be considered.
Bopinc is looking for a dynamic Program Manager who can lead two of our Circular Economy programs in the agrifood and e-waste sector. You will become part of Bopinc’s global innovation team and work in close collaboration with our implementing partners in Kenya and Uganda to realize the goals of the programs.
We believe the best products should be available, where they matter most. Fulfilling aspirations and needs is key. Through the power of entrepreneurship, every new idea is turned upside down and inside out. Until we find the right innovation, right for low-income communities.
From startups to multinationals, we help organisations to design and deliver commercially and socially viable business models. Our diverse team of global innovators and entrepreneurs, bridge the gap between private and development sectors. Our website
- IUCN Global Consulting Jobs | Focus on Africa and AsiaIUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) is a membership Union of government and civil society organisations. Together, we work to advance sustainable development and create a just world that… Read more: IUCN Global Consulting Jobs | Focus on Africa and Asia
- IUCN Global Jobs |Multiple Positions| Entry Level to Experienced| AdminIUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) is a membership Union of government and civil society organisations. Together, we work to advance sustainable development and create a just world that… Read more: IUCN Global Jobs |Multiple Positions| Entry Level to Experienced| Admin
- BRAC Global Careers |Humanitarian and Development Jobs | Africa AsiaABOUT US BRAC International operates in 10 countries across Africa and Asia. We envision a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to… Read more: BRAC Global Careers |Humanitarian and Development Jobs | Africa Asia
- Humanitarian & Development Jobs | Finance and Administration JobsHere’s a digest of popular positions, with some closing soon from multiple employers in the Humanitarian Development space. Opportunities Finance Manager, Kenya Livestock Market Systems ActivityACDI/VOCA Investment Product Scoping STTA,… Read more: Humanitarian & Development Jobs | Finance and Administration Jobs
- World Resources Institute WRI Jobs | Africa Asia Europe LatAm Positions| Programs Legal CommunicationsThe World Resources Institute is a global research non-profit organization established in 1982 with funding from the MacArthur Foundation under the leadership of James Gustave Speth. Subsequent presidents include Jonathan… Read more: World Resources Institute WRI Jobs | Africa Asia Europe LatAm Positions| Programs Legal Communications