Lake Victoria Technical Fish Consultant
The fishing industry in Kenya is nascent and underdeveloped. Only 15% of Kenya’s fishing potential is utilized. 78% of the catch is from small scale fisherfolk who are extremely poor, untrained & lack access to infrastructure. Only 4% of fish landing sites have cooling infrastructure, none of which are accessible to small scale fisherfolk. Post-catch losses are as high as 45% compared to the global average of 10%. Considering the knowledge gaps in this, SokoFresh is planning to provide cooling solutions, fish processing and market linkage to the fisherfolk in Lake Victoria.
We are looking for an expert in post-harvest handling of fish in the Lake Victoria Region. The objective of hiring a consultant is to guide us on the development of post-harvest handling interventions that leverage on solar powered cold storage, support on refining of the issue analysis, Support on business model, develop training materials, SOPs and deliver training on fish harvesting and post-harvest treatment and storage of fish (Tilapia and Nile Perch) for SokoFresh renewable energies project.
Scope of Work
The consultant will be instrumental in the development and adoption of a pay-to-store solution for post-harvest management of fish in the Lake Victoria region. As an expert they will guide the SokoFresh Team in refining their assumptions and building the business model. The Consultant will lead and be responsible for developing training materials, SOPs and to arrange and successfully complete a training program with the assistance of the Project Manager. The consultant must complete the following tasks:
- Design training program
- Develop required materials and Standard Operating Procedures
- Review supply chain process of the fish production to market
- Compile a list of all required tools and equipment.
- Conduct trainings to staff and other stakeholders with support from project manager
- Ensure presence of target participants on training days.
- Play active role as moderator and facilitator.
- Prepare short training reports.
- Support in compilation of research for issue analysis
- Support in planning and execution of business model development
- Post harvest management of fish best practice document
- Must have: Fishermen, staff Training modules for Fish handling.
- Developed SOPs for fish processing and storage
- Conduct 2 training sessions each with stakeholders in Kendubay and Homabay
- Training reports.
- A minimum 5 years of professional experience in the fish operations in Kenya preferably Lake Victoria.
- Knowledge of the post-harvest processing and storage requirements of fish
- A good understanding of the needs of the Kenyan fish sector.
Good To Have;
- A background in aquaculture is highly preferable
- Knowledge in Business model design
This is a consultancy for 3 months.
How to Apply
Interested consultants are invited to apply to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by 10th April 2023:
- Letter of interest from the firm/individual to participate in the assignment which includes the monthly rates and availability.
- Profile of the firm/individual (including curriculum vitae, evidence of the requisite expertise and skills).
- List of similar assignments (i.e. portfolio of relevant work) of work done within the last five years.
Screening will start as soon as possible and will continue until the position is filled. Only selected consultant candidates will be contacted.
SokoFresh is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organisational goals and mission. SokoFresh is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com