Head of Partnerships and Resource Mobilization
Cairo, Al Qāhirah, Egypt Internationally Recruited Staff Full Time This position is open until filled…
Reports to: Director General
Location: Cairo, Egypt
ICARDA is an international organization that for over four decades undertakes research-for-development to provide innovative, science-based agricultural solutions that improve the livelihoods resilience of rural dryland communities. ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty and enhance food, water, nutritional security, and environmental health in the face of global challenges, including climate change. ICARDA is the only CGIAR research center headquartered in the non-tropical drylands. Our unique dryland agricultural experience, combined with our extensive networks of research and development partners, including farming communities themselves, makes sure we provide people-centered solutions that are integrated directly into farming activities and food systems. For more information: www.icarda.org
All 12 CGIAR Centers are currently engaged in a transformation effort (the ‘One CGIAR’) that will help the CGIAR achieve better impact through more strategically integrated research, unified governance, an integrated structure, and new research modalities.
Main purpose of the position
The Head of Partnerships and Resource Mobilization reports to the Director General and is a member of ICARDA’s Senior Management Team. S/he also leads and manages the Partnerships and Grants Unit (PGU) with the overall responsibility of developing partnerships, driving resource mobilization, supporting bankable project proposal development, grants management and close-out. S/he will be expected to work as part of the integrated matrix structure and to collaborate with global colleagues.
The role will ensure predictable and sustainable long-term funding to meet ICARDA research needs and aspirations. This role will focus on the development and management of long-term partnerships including but not limited to bilateral and multilateral donors, new means of partnership and income generation, in-country partnership, and broader international partnerships supporting the positioning of ICARDA and its mandate globally. The role also provides advocacy support at the global, regional and national level using strategic content and approaches.
The role of the Head of Partnerships and Resource Mobilization includes, but is not limited to:
Strategic guidance on resource mobilization for ICARDA:
- Lead on the development, implementation, and update of the ICARDA resource mobilization and donor engagement strategy, building on the existing donor mapping and ongoing engagements.
- Set and monitor institutional annual priorities and quarterly objectives and key objectives for resource mobilization and donor engagement, and the supporting action plan for achieving the objectives.
- Advise on best practice and channels for resource mobilization including but not limited to traditional government/bilateral donors, International Financial Institutions (IFIs), Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs), multi-partner funds, foundations, private sector, as well as other innovative financing mechanisms, etc.
- Identify and establish mechanisms to engage with priority partners including public and private sector partners at the global level.
- Strategic and operational thinker able to see the institutional big picture and future needs, while at the same time being able to dive into the work itself.
- Lead on the development and implementation of the institutional and country ICARDA partnerships and resource mobilization strategy through the identification and delivery of new funding pathways.
Proactive and targeted engagement with donor partners:
- Lead on the design and implementation of effective advocacy strategies and methods for strategic targeting of existing and prospect donor partners, in collaboration with the ICARDA communications team as needed.
- Engage in targeted networking to establish connections, leading to the development, mobilization, prioritization and management of partnerships with the purpose of mobilizing resources.
- Ensure updated donor intelligence as well as proactive outreach for insights.
- Build a global partnership ecosystem and actively engage partners through regular check-ins and engagement.
- Oversee prospective contributions and ongoing donor engagement.
- With the support of the Communications Unit, lead the development of donor outreach materials, including but not limited to brochures, pitch decks, concept notes, expressions of interest, etc. that are in line with donor/partner criteria and audience needs.
- Lead quality assurance for donor proposals, in collaboration with ICARDA team leads as needed, and incorporate donor feedback in a timely manner.
- Lead the formalization of relationships as opportunities arise, and support the management, initiation, preparation and operationalization of agreements (such as Memorandum of Understanding, Financing Agreement, Project Document, etc.) to formalize contributions.
- Lead the management of donor reporting, in collaboration with implementation project leads, to ensure proper documentation is done and meet donor expectations.
Institutional responsibilities and support:
- Support ICARDA’s Director General and Deputy Director General-Research in preparing for high-level engagements (panels, speeches, webinars, etc.) with funding partnersAdvise and support regional and country office teams on their resource mobilization requests.
- Proactive engagement with other ICARDA’s units, including programme teams, legal office, procurement unit, etc. to ensure organizational awareness and coherence.
- Lead the Partnerships and Grants Unit (PGU) staff in partnerships, resource mobilization, project proposal development, due diligence procedures on prospective donors, and grants and contracts management.
- Ensure appropriate processes and policies are maintained, updated, developed and implemented and adherence to standards is made.
- Working alongside relevant institutional units and staff to ensure effective delivery and implementation of robust processes to ensure risk management and effective project delivery.
- Lead on the implementation of a customer relationship management (CRM) system in collaboration with the OneCGIAR.
Essential qualifications and competencies
- Degree in International Affairs, Public Policy, Development, Entrepreneurship, Marketing or Communications or related fields. A Master’s degree would be an advantage
- Strong demonstrable track record in fundraising, and leading donor relations and project development with governments and corporate partners at a global level. An established strong network and professional relations with donors and partners. Emphasis will be placed on the experience of donor relations in ICARDA’s region of operations and experience with the agricultural sector.
- Experience in advising senior management on fundraising and partnership opportunities.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience, including in the public sector, international development or not-for-profit organizations, at management levels, in formulating, planning, and implementing effective resource mobilization strategies
- Ability to think strategically and pragmatically and to turn strategies into concrete actions.
- Ability to build strong and sustainable relationships and capability to interact at all levels within the organization.
- Ability to build trust and partnership and convince and manage multiple stakeholders with maturity and tact.
- Ability to deliver in a high-pressure environment.
- Excellent communication and people skills, including the ability to build trust and consensus and effectively manage working relationships.
- Excellent English, both written and spoken with working knowledge of another language of the region.
Desirable qualifications and competencies
- Experience in working in a matrix organization.
- Experience in mobilizing climate finance.
- Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
Terms of appointment, salary, and benefits
The Head of Partnerships and Resource Mobilization is an internationally recruited position. ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package to the successful applicant, including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months of maternity leave, and 15 days of paternity leave. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars. ICARDA will offer the successful candidate an initial contract of three years, renewable, subject to a continued need for the position and satisfactory performance. The first year will be a probationary period.
Oxford Human Resource Consultants Limited has been assigned to help ICARDA in identifying suitable applicants and will be managing the process of evaluating, assessing, and recommending the most qualified candidates.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women’s representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from qualified women.
ICARDA will acknowledge all applications received but will only contact shortlisted candidates.
- IUCN Global Consulting Jobs | Focus on Africa and AsiaIUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) is a membership Union of government and civil society organisations. Together, we work to advance sustainable development and create a just world that… Read more: IUCN Global Consulting Jobs | Focus on Africa and Asia
- IUCN Global Jobs |Multiple Positions| Entry Level to Experienced| AdminIUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) is a membership Union of government and civil society organisations. Together, we work to advance sustainable development and create a just world that… Read more: IUCN Global Jobs |Multiple Positions| Entry Level to Experienced| Admin
- BRAC Global Careers |Humanitarian and Development Jobs | Africa AsiaABOUT US BRAC International operates in 10 countries across Africa and Asia. We envision a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to… Read more: BRAC Global Careers |Humanitarian and Development Jobs | Africa Asia
- Humanitarian & Development Jobs | Finance and Administration JobsHere’s a digest of popular positions, with some closing soon from multiple employers in the Humanitarian Development space. Opportunities Finance Manager, Kenya Livestock Market Systems ActivityACDI/VOCA Investment Product Scoping STTA,… Read more: Humanitarian & Development Jobs | Finance and Administration Jobs
- World Resources Institute WRI Jobs | Africa Asia Europe LatAm Positions| Programs Legal CommunicationsThe World Resources Institute is a global research non-profit organization established in 1982 with funding from the MacArthur Foundation under the leadership of James Gustave Speth. Subsequent presidents include Jonathan… Read more: World Resources Institute WRI Jobs | Africa Asia Europe LatAm Positions| Programs Legal Communications