Head Of Communications (Berlin Or Nairobi M/F/D)
Quality education for hundreds of millions of underprivileged children
We believe that all children should be given the chance to reach their full potential. However, more than 600 million children in the world do not achieve foundational skills like literacy and basic numeracy – despite the majority of them going to school.
At EIDU, we are creating the next-generation ed-tech platform for children in low- and middle-income countries who do not have access to the high-quality education that all children deserve. Our platform distributes interactive learning content to students and teachers, optimizes the content being delivered to the children based on their progress, and continuously measures their learning development.
We currently have 200,000 active students in low-cost private and public schools in Kenya, and we will scale nationwide by 2026. An externally run randomized control trial has found students in the EIDU program have a 65% higher learning rate than students in the control group.
EIDU is currently funded by well-known development agencies, foundations, and impact investors, and we are about to tap into the billion-dollar education market. If you’d like to learn more about us, watch this two-minute video.
With a mission like EIDU’s, diversity of thought and background within our team is crucial. We value those who can bring a diverse perspective to our platform and help us provide high-quality education to as many children as we can across the globe.
In this role, you will
- Create and deliver EIDU’s communications strategy for all of our stakeholders (inc. defining target groups and profiles as well as communication KPIs).
- Develop and shape the EIDU brand in close cooperation with senior management.
- Lead our engagement with external consultants and agencies to support the organisation’s communication needs.
- Manage our social media channels (LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, etc.), soliciting inputs from team members and partners.
- Draft and edit impactful and visually-appealing content to target the organisation’s internal and external audiences through print and digital media across platforms.
- Contribute to the preparation of fundraising materials, such as quarterly performance reports and success case stories from the field as needed.
- Respond to media queries, write press release quotes and forge relationships with key journalists to build awareness about organisation’s initiatives.
What you should bring
- The desire to use your skills to bring about positive social change.
- Highly motivated person with an entrepreneurial mindset capable of autonomously driving results.
- At least 6 years of experience in communications / marketing / branding, with at least 2 years of direct communications experience in social enterprises or NGOs with great track record.
- Ability to work in a start-up environment navigating complex and fast-changing circumstances.
- Strategic thinking combined with a willingness to work hands-on and directly implement new initiatives.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to deal with people at all levels of the organisation and from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Demonstrated competencies in development of communication materials (must have: copywriting, social media platforms; nice to have: graphic design, publishing).
- Bachelor’s (or Master’s ) Degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or equivalent qualification is an advantage.
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency with print and digital communications technologies. Graphic design (e.g Adobe Creative Suite, Indesign) and photography experience is an advantage.
- Existing media relationships are an advantage.
What we offer
- Chance to directly contribute to solving a pressing global problem.
- Rapid personal development & opportunity to take on responsibility and have significant impact.
- A modern company culture that emphasises transparency and freedom. We care about results, and believe people work best when given the freedom to structure their work themselves, so there is a high degree of flexibility with regard to working hours and vacations, and the option to work from home up to four days per week.
- Exciting field visits to our partner schools in Kenya to see your impact firsthand and meet our teachers and learners.
If this resonates with you, please submit your CV, a one-paragraph motivation letter, and your earliest start date with the Subject: Head of Communications to email@example.com
EIDU is an inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds and walks of life. We especially encourage women, as well as members of other groups underrepresented in the technology industry, to apply. We look forward to hearing from you and to working together on this exciting chance to make a global change.
We are happy to help with paperwork upon relocation to Berlin if needed. If you feel a strong resonance with our mission and think you could help us make a difference, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you and to working together on this exciting chance to make a global change.
- IUCN Global Consulting Jobs | Focus on Africa and AsiaIUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) is a membership Union of government and civil society organisations. Together, we work to advance sustainable development and create a just world that… Read more: IUCN Global Consulting Jobs | Focus on Africa and Asia
- IUCN Global Jobs |Multiple Positions| Entry Level to Experienced| AdminIUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) is a membership Union of government and civil society organisations. Together, we work to advance sustainable development and create a just world that… Read more: IUCN Global Jobs |Multiple Positions| Entry Level to Experienced| Admin
- BRAC Global Careers |Humanitarian and Development Jobs | Africa AsiaABOUT US BRAC International operates in 10 countries across Africa and Asia. We envision a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to… Read more: BRAC Global Careers |Humanitarian and Development Jobs | Africa Asia
- Humanitarian & Development Jobs | Finance and Administration JobsHere’s a digest of popular positions, with some closing soon from multiple employers in the Humanitarian Development space. Opportunities Finance Manager, Kenya Livestock Market Systems ActivityACDI/VOCA Investment Product Scoping STTA,… Read more: Humanitarian & Development Jobs | Finance and Administration Jobs
- World Resources Institute WRI Jobs | Africa Asia Europe LatAm Positions| Programs Legal CommunicationsThe World Resources Institute is a global research non-profit organization established in 1982 with funding from the MacArthur Foundation under the leadership of James Gustave Speth. Subsequent presidents include Jonathan… Read more: World Resources Institute WRI Jobs | Africa Asia Europe LatAm Positions| Programs Legal Communications