Agribusiness and Finance Specialist
Job Posting : 09/Jul/2023
Closure Date: 07/Aug/2023, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: RAF
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Ghana-Accra
Duration: Up to 11 months
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) leads FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security and nutrition as well as agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the Africa region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with offices, centres and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. In its programme delivery, RAF contributes to the achievements of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, guided by SDG 1 No poverty, SDG 2 No hunger, and SDG 10 Reducing inequalities. In addition to supporting FAO’s work in Member countries, RAF develops and maintains strategic partnerships with continental organizations, such as the African Union Commission and Regional Economic Communities (RECs). At policy level, RAF supports countries to develop strategies, policies and regulatory frameworks as well as supports regional, sub regional and country policy dialogues that sustain efficient and inclusive agricultural and food systems. RAF also facilities partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders, supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security and nutrition as well as agriculture and rural development in the region.
The programme area of work on ‘Sustainable Agribusiness, Inclusive and Resilient Value Chains” includes activities to contribute to the transformation of agrifood systems in Africa, by making agribusinesses and their food value chains more competitive, sustainable, inclusive and resilient. The area of work includes, among others: (i) facilitating and strengthening market linkages for increased access to markets; (ii) increasing access to financial services for agrifood MSMEs; (iii) reducing post-harvest loss.
The agribusiness and finance specialist reports to the Agribusiness Officer in RAF.
The consultant will provide analytical and technical support on agribusiness development including functioning of agricultural support services, rural market and finance institutions aspects, for the formulation, and implementation of projects and for the development of normative works (guidelines, case studies, technical notes).
Tasks and responsibilities
• Identification and preparation of projects in the field of value chain development and support to increase access to financial services for MSMEs;
• Formulation and delivery of capacity development initiatives in the areas of agribusiness and finance;
• Analysis of selected agricultural sub-sectors and value chains;
• Identification of constraints and opportunities for investment at all levels of selected value chain;
• Formulation of agribusiness finance and investment-related policy issues.
• Production of knowledge products including analytical work and practical tools related to agribusiness and value chain development, as well as access to finance for MSMEs.
• Support to the private sector development, by facilitating public private platforms, agribusiness incubator and accelerators, aiming at promoting an enabling environment for investment along the value chain.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in agriculture, agro-industry, business administration, economics, agricultural economics or a closely related field.
• Five years of relevant experience in the practical application of value chain analysis and development, agribusiness and market development, processing, including experience in the formulation and/or implementation of agricultural investment and finance support solutions in developing countries.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish). For PSA, working knowledge of English.
Other Opportunities Closing Soon
One Acre Fund Jobs: https://www.farmgro.africa/one-acre-fund-tupande-jobs-in-east-africa/
- Program Manager| BOPincProgram Manager (Nairobi based) Full-time · Nairobi – Kenya Bopinc is a Dutch not-for-profit that accelerates the impact of market-driven and innovative business models in low-income markets. We support our … Read more
- Africa Managing Director| Acre | Nairobi, KenyaAfrican Managing Director Location: Nairobi Job-type: Permanent Salary £ Competitive Acre is delighted to be supporting the global leadership at New Forests to identify a Managing Director for their African … Read more
- Global Risk Manager| One Acre Fund| HybridOne Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the financing and training they need to grow more food and earn more money from their farms. Instead of giving handouts, we invest … Read more
- Seva Foundation Remote Africa Jobs | NGOSince 1978, Seva has been a leading innovator in the delivery of vital eye care services to the world’s most vulnerable including women, children, and indigenous peoples. Seva’s work is … Read more
- Uganda Hands for Hope Jobs & Volunteers Wanted| Programs and Special NeedsUganda Hands for Hope is a non-profit organisation working with the residents of Kampala’s informal urban settlements. We pride ourselves on having a close working relationship with our beneficiaries and … Read more