Education: Post-graduate education
Work experience: 10 years
Language skills: English
Contract Type: Full time
Overall Responsibility: A successful applicant will serve as the Head of the Public Agricultural Research Institute (PARI) and will be responsible for providing professional, technical, and administrative leadership necessary for implementing the institute mandate.
Required Qualification and Experience:
Interested candidates should meet the following conditions:
- A PhD in the field of either Agricultural or Natural Science.
- At least 10 years’ experience in either agricultural research planning or management from an Agricultural Research Institution. Equivalent experience obtained from a related institution is acceptable.
- A proven record in agricultural research or research in other related fields evidenced by at least twenty peer reviewed publications five of which should be in the last five years.
- Clear understanding of the role of agricultural research to poverty reduction.
- Excellent leadership, negotiations and communication skills including demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in teams.
- Demonstrated experience in mobilization of funding for research and development.
- Proven ability to influence and motivate staff towards the achievement of strategic objectives and goals.
- Excellent working relationships with national, regional and international research institutions/centers as well as development partners and private agencies.
- Must demonstrate a clear understanding and ability to uphold provisions of the Leadership Code Act, 2002.
- Must have served in a research, academic or related reputable research institution at a Senior Research Officer level and above or equivalent.
- Manage the implementation of Research and ensure the prompt delivery of adequate and quality research outputs.
- Provide leadership in priority setting as a requisite for the implementation of research programs.
- Provide policy advice on appropriate technologies and information for responsible agricultural practice.
- Develop and implement a strategy for Resource Mobilization to enable the institute to have additional funding for research and staff remuneration.
- Develop and implement strategic plans, research programs, and annual budgets in line with approved government policies.
- Implement effective financial management policies and systems for tracking, monitoring, and reporting financial performance against budget to ensure proper management and accountability of funds.
- Implement effective human resource management policies and systems.
- Develop effective communication, publicity, and advocacy programs to ensure that the Institute is recognized by the public.
- Putting in place participatory approaches and methods to monitor and evaluate the performance and impact of the Institute’s research activities and technologies.
- Work with the private sector to bring technology and research applications to the marketplace with a view to enhancing the commercialization and availability of appropriate technologies to a wide array of stakeholders.
- Ensure that the Institute complies with relevant legislation as well as agricultural and environmental laws.
- Ensure that research projects and programs comply with National and sector development plans and strategies.
- Commit up to 25 percent of his/her time to scientific research activities.