Communications and Outreach Senior Officer
The Senior officer will implement communications and social media strategies to achieve internal and external learning objectives and ensure appropriate feedback loops are in place to fully maximize partner engagement and learning.
Activity (1): Learning, Communications and Event Management Support:
- In coordination with the MERAL Director, lead the development and implementation of the organization’s external and internal communication strategies, including media/public relations, marketing, general communications, and employee-focused communications, in line with the organization’s vision, strategy and values. This includes working closely with the technical team on donor/prospect fundraising communications, materials, and support.
- In coordination with the MERAL Director, publish content on social media and the AgriFin website, maintaining continuity of themes, designing layout, streamlining navigation, and increasing online presence to potential partners.
- Working with the MERAL director, in liaison with the technical team, coordinate and plan the Annual Learning Event (ALE), including the formation of schedules, agendas, promotions, and other event coordination in collaboration with the AgriFin and external communications teams.
- Support MCA and partner initiatives to implement their communication and social media strategy, draft and publish bi-weekly newsletters, document, socialize, and share major achievements, milestones, and updates.
- Help AgriFin achieve a strong, visible global presence by developing concepts with viral potential and act as an advocate for the company in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate.
- Managing the technical upkeep of the AgriFin website, including ensuring its products are mobile-friendly and multi-platform ready. Where required, collaborate with development teams to discuss, analyse, or resolve usability issues.
- Maintain continuous insight on engagement rates with AgriFin’s social media channels and website, sharing performance regularly with the team.
- Manage AgriFin mailing lists and internal file storage system, ensuring its upkeep and organization.
- Serve as lead focal point with HQ communications teams to ensure efficient coordination and collaboration and information sharing on program work, evaluation results and communications flows.
- Build and maintain relationships internally, and with external stakeholders to ensure, fulfilling funding requirements and agreements. Help identify, develop, and maintain key communication channels, adapting and improving them in line with external trends and business needs.
Activity (2): Research Engagements and Program Support:
- Providing research, analysis, drafting, and other support for thought leadership pieces (e.g., journal articles, op-eds, white papers) produced by MCA team and partners.
- Facilitate support to consultants and research firms in accessing program data and learnings.
- Support the MERAL Director towards knowledge management activities, organize and enable the launch and successful management of AFA impact assessment work, including coordination of projects, the development and maintenance of project summaries, progress reports and status updates.
- Support the consolidated project tracking using relevant tools such as dashboards and pipelines of learning engagements based on project plans, milestones, and roadmaps agreed to with engagement leads.
- Support the maintenance program databases, including engagement data and ecosystem player data, linking information to the program website and other communications channels.
- Lead and support in preparing terms of reference and scopes of work, memos, justifications, quality assurance, contracting, service completion and payment requests documents while providing support and oversight for consultants as required.
- Support the program in liaising with partners, specifically towards preparation of desk reviews and field reports. This will include scheduling and planning of field visits, note taking, logistical and planning support, organizing meetings and sourcing of vendors.
- Identify and document the core information needs of central project, management, the advisory committee, donors and partners.
- Other duties as assigned to by MERAL director in support of MCA communications and outreach efforts.
There is no supervisory responsibility associated with this role, but oversight of short-term consultants and vendors may be required.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: MCA MERAL Director.
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Program Director, Deputy Program Director, Country leads, Technical Managers, Communications & Learning Consultants, Finance, and operations staff.
- Minimum of 6-8 years’ related experience in Public Relations, Media Relations, Marketing Communications, Corporate Communications, Employee Communications, or related fields required. Both nonprofit and corporate experience is desired, as is having progressive responsibilities in managing these functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, marketing, public relations, Social Sciences, Development Studies. Master’s Degree in any of the above is an advantage.
- Exceptional writing, grammar and editing skills with strong written and oral communication skills in English, including report development, writing and editing.
- Experience managing graphic communications and/or directly using graphic design tools (e.g. Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) preferred.
- Experience managing websites and email-distribution platforms, and/or working with website and other technology vendors and consultants, including WordPress and Salsa Labs.
- Experience managing other related communications vendors, such as news-distribution services, media-monitoring services, printing services or brokers, photographers/videographers, or suppliers.
- Demonstrates strong verbal interpersonal skills.
- Strong time management, supervisory and organizational skills.
- Experience creating/managing project budgets.
- Demonstrated knowledge of various software packages such as Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated understanding of digital financial services
- Demonstrated ability to work constructively in teams.
- Experience working in the region preferred.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Highly pro-active and self-disciplined.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation a plus.
- Willingness to travel.
The ideal candidate will have a strong curiosity for understanding complex relationships across institutions and individuals. Emotional intelligence in dealing with people working in fast-paced, outcome driven setting is essential. S/he will be an excellent writer, communicator, multi-tasker, and have excellent attention to detail, able to take ownership of tasks and follow-through until completion without much supervision. S/he will be a tolerant and flexible individual able to work in difficult and stressful environments and follow procedures. S/he will be a team-player with a positive attitude toward problem solving and conflict resolution. The successful candidate will be focused on team building; be a strategic thinker, have strong skills in project management and maintain a sense of humour.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
- RefuSHE Jobs | Marketing, Communication, Operations, M&ECareers & Internships RefuSHE provides the full spectrum of care and protection for refugee girls, young women, and children in Kenya. We invite you to learn more about our open… Read more: RefuSHE Jobs | Marketing, Communication, Operations, M&E
- Sanergy Jobs | Impact Jobs | Sales Fundraising Finance OpsOur Job Offers Join us, we offer you an extraordinary chance to learn, to develop and to be part of an exciting experience and team. Credit Associate – MARCH 20245… Read more: Sanergy Jobs | Impact Jobs | Sales Fundraising Finance Ops
- MEDAIR Jobs | Global Positions| Operations Admin FinanceMedair Jobs Ukraine Program / Project Management | Field – International staff Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA) Advisor ROC Required Working as an important member of a diverse team who are committed… Read more: MEDAIR Jobs | Global Positions| Operations Admin Finance
- Article19 Jobs | Global Remote Hybrid PositionsArticle 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that everyone has the right to freedom of expression and opinion. This includes the right to hold opinions without interference… Read more: Article19 Jobs | Global Remote Hybrid Positions
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation EGPAF Jobs | Multiple Positions Africa Asia EU Americas|The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) is a nonprofit organization that works to prevent pediatric HIV infection and eliminate pediatric AIDS. EGPAF was founded in 1988 by Elizabeth Glaser, Susan DeLaurentis,… Read more: Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation EGPAF Jobs | Multiple Positions Africa Asia EU Americas|