Climate Action Consultant
CONTRACT | ALLIANCE BIOVERSITY & CIAT | KENYA
Posted On 25/07/2023
Work Experience – 4-5 years
Target Date – 09/08/2023
Industry – NGO/Social Services
Duty Post – Nairobi
City – Nairobi
State/Province – Nairobi City
Zip/Postal Code – N/A
The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) delivers research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. The Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation (https://alliancebioversityciat.org/ )
With novel partnerships, the Alliance generates evidence and mainstreams innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so that they sustain the planet, drive prosperity, and nourish people.
The Alliance is a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org) a global research partnership for a food-secure future.
Background and Objective of the Assignment
Support on a variety of projects related to farmer behavior, agribusiness finance, agriculture risk management and insurance within the Behavioral Optimization and Private Sector Support team of The Alliance Bioversity International – CIAT.
- Engage in the day-to-day management of the project activities.
- Conduct technical development of data collection instruments, literature reviews, white papers, slide decks and other presentation materials.
- Conduct technical reviews of project outputs and development to provide creative solutions to engagements.
- Act as the in-country point of contact for partners where applicable.
- Manage projects toward timelines for deliverables and reports.
- Present at relevant forums including conferences, networking events, or client meetings.
- Attend relevant internal brainstorm sessions.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the project supervisor.
- Travel up to one time per month.
- Consultants are required to finance travel and request reimbursements at the conclusion of trips.
Outputs & Deliverables
- The Consultant will deliver on specific tasks requested by the team:
- Provide context and overall guidance on the purpose and expectations for the assignment.
- Provide feedback and any necessary further direction.
- Liaise regularly with the consultant as needed for the duration of the project.
Duties of the Consultant
- Operate from own office other than under exceptional circumstances and provide own work facilities, equipment, stationery, supplies, and all operational requirements to carry out the assignment and provide the services required.
- Deliver high-quality service within the agreed timelines.
- Liaise with the project manager(s) on a regular basis to report progress, and report any issues and/or concerns that may affect the performance of the consultancy in the course of the assignment.
- RequirementsMaster’s Degree in Social Science Field or Business, with preference for economics or political economy.
- At least 4 years of previous work experience in agriculture, agriculture economics, natural resource economics, development economics or behavioral economics, with experience managing large scale research and consulting projects in developing countries.
- Strong qualitative, quantitative, research, and data analytic skills.
- Experience in data analysis, including knowledge of and experience working with software such as R, Python, Matlab or Stata.
- Ability to quickly understand and adapt to new contextual situations.
- Ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player.
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced team within a large research institution.
- Fluency and excellent communication and writing skills with a mastery of English.
- Experience with agriculture risk management frameworks or risk modeling for credit or insurance is preferred.
Terms of Engagement
The consultancy contract will be for a maximum of a 6-month period. The consultant will be Based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Applicants are invited to visit https://www.bioversityinternational.org/jobs/ to get full details of the position and to submit their applications. Applications MUST include Climate Action Consultant as the position applied for. Application and CV should be saved as one document using the candidate’s last name, first name for ease of sorting.
Note: The Alliance does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). The Alliance also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Applications closing date:9th August 2023
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about us at: