African Managing Director
Salary £ Competitive
Acre is delighted to be supporting the global leadership at New Forests to identify a Managing Director for their African business based in Nairobi. The primary focus of this role is to drive growth in the African business and effectively manage the investment of capital in sustainable forestry and natural capital assets and the management of those assets for long-term stable returns and climate impact, in accordance with New Forests’ investment mandates in Sub- Saharan Africa (“SSA“).
New Forests is a global investment manager of nature-based real assets and natural capital strategies, with AUD 10.73 billion (USD 7.3 billion) in assets under management across 1.2 million hectares (3.14 million acres) of investments. They manage a diversified portfolio of sustainable timber plantations and conservation areas, carbon and conservation finance projects, agriculture, timber processing and infrastructure. New Forests aims to generate shared prosperity for their clients and the communities in which they operate and accelerate the transition to a sustainable future.
The African Forestry Impact Platform (AFIP) is a New Forests managed permanent capital vehicle investing in forestry operating businesses and associated timber value chains across SSA. The fund also aims to target and deliver on the following impact themes: climate mitigation, biodiversity conservation, gender and improving local communities’ livelihoods.
In close collaboration with New Forests’ Managing Director for Asia, the responsibilities of this role will include:
- Developing and implementing short and long-term strategic plans for the African business and executing Funds Management strategies in accordance with New Forests systems, policies, and governance framework.
- Contributing to fundraising through engaging with prospective clients and supporting the Investor Relations team to raise capital for Africa products via investor presentations, roadshows and other capital raise events.
- Contributing to the achievement and evolution of New Forests’ business in Africa via mission-aligned growth strategies. As a senior member of the business, drive organisational success through exceptional leadership and alignment with New Forests’ mission, vision and values to foster the company culture, creating a positive and constructive environment for all employees. Being a key leader within New Forests, successfully guiding the Africa-based team in the context of a global matrix structure to achieve New Forests’ strategic goals while operating in an emerging but increasingly competitive market environment with highly sophisticated clients.
- Supporting the development of the New Forests Africa team to successfully execute New Forests’ business and Funds Management strategies in Africa.
- Developing and maintaining positive, trust-based relations with key internal and external stakeholders, including the Executive team, peers, shareholders, existing and prospective investors and other third parties.
- Reporting to the global New Forests board as required, providing market insights and strategic advice.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in an award-winning company in the natural capital impact investing space: https://newforests.com/environmental-finance-award-wins/
Since their inception in 2005, sustainability and delivering results for their clients has been at the heart of New Forests’ business. Because sustainability is in their DNA, they attract individuals who are interested in helping clients solve problems and doing so with climate, community and impact in mind.
Through their advocacy engagement, New Forests aims to amplify their effort, voice, and influence. New Forests participates in industry initiatives, networks, and organisations to advance responsible investment, sustainable forestry, and carbon markets through collaboration, knowledge sharing, and development of best practices. To advance New Forests’ 2030 vision, their strategies seek to create positive ESG impacts at scale in three priority areas: Nature-based Solutions, Shared Prosperity and the Circular Bioeconomy.
New Forests is a Certified B Corp and an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion.
The successful candidate will align to New Forests’ Mission, Vision and Values:
- New Forests’ Mission is to be the world’s leading manager of nature-based investments
- New Forests’ Vision is to see investment in land use and forestry as central to the transition to a sustainable future.
- New Forests’ Values include: Respect, Integrity, Client Focused, Persistence
Other key responsibilities will include:
- Working with the Kenyan team in the key areas of Investor Relations, Investments, Investment Analytics and Operations to:
- Effectively and competently liaise with local authorities on regulatory matters related to the activities of New Forests’ business and its Funds Management activities.
- Collaborate constructively with key partners connected to New Forests and Fund operations. Actively contribute to client relations and marketing requirements for capital and Funds Management.
- Contribute to New Forests’ corporate governance, risk and compliance programs, sustainability and responsible investment projects and activities.
Required technical skills, experience and knowledge:
- Experience at a senior level in institutional Funds Management, real asset Funds Management or in a similar role, with direct experience in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Proven success in developing and executing business strategies to achieve short and long-term goals.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to adapt, inspire and engage a group of highly skilled professionals and help build a collaborative team culture; experience in matrix-reporting organisations a benefit.
- Capacity to work transparently and cooperatively with governments and navigate emerging market risk profiles.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to grow and lead an effective mission-aligned team via a matrix structure.
- Experience in real asset portfolios and an understanding of what drives long-term value creation.
Required qualifications, leadership and personal skills:
- A degree/s in business administration, finance, forestry, conservation science, or related fields.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and presentation skills. The ability to communicate with presence, impact, and influence to engage stakeholders and help raise capital from institutional investors.
- The ability to operate in multiple cultural contexts including South-East Asia, Japan, North America, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
- Ability to embrace and demonstrate New Forests’ commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A commitment to the values and purpose of New Forests and the ability to motivate and engage others and shape a positive performance culture.
- Proven ability to align organisational vision, values and strategy with team goals, actions, and performance.
Beneficial technical skills, qualifications, experience and knowledge:
- Forestry operations experience and forest science.
- Knowledge of global carbon markets and the related opportunities to create value in the forestry and land sector.
- Understanding/knowledge of forestry and/or other real asset valuation.
Diversity drives innovation and accelerates businesses and enterprises towards their missions. As such, we are wholly committed to partnering with clients and candidates alike to foster a more inclusive, sustainable future for generations to come.
- IUCN Global Consulting Jobs | Focus on Africa and AsiaIUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) is a membership Union of government and civil society organisations. Together, we work to advance sustainable development and create a just world that… Read more: IUCN Global Consulting Jobs | Focus on Africa and Asia
- IUCN Global Jobs |Multiple Positions| Entry Level to Experienced| AdminIUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) is a membership Union of government and civil society organisations. Together, we work to advance sustainable development and create a just world that… Read more: IUCN Global Jobs |Multiple Positions| Entry Level to Experienced| Admin
- BRAC Global Careers |Humanitarian and Development Jobs | Africa AsiaABOUT US BRAC International operates in 10 countries across Africa and Asia. We envision a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to… Read more: BRAC Global Careers |Humanitarian and Development Jobs | Africa Asia
- Humanitarian & Development Jobs | Finance and Administration JobsHere’s a digest of popular positions, with some closing soon from multiple employers in the Humanitarian Development space. Opportunities Finance Manager, Kenya Livestock Market Systems ActivityACDI/VOCA Investment Product Scoping STTA,… Read more: Humanitarian & Development Jobs | Finance and Administration Jobs
- World Resources Institute WRI Jobs | Africa Asia Europe LatAm Positions| Programs Legal CommunicationsThe World Resources Institute is a global research non-profit organization established in 1982 with funding from the MacArthur Foundation under the leadership of James Gustave Speth. Subsequent presidents include Jonathan… Read more: World Resources Institute WRI Jobs | Africa Asia Europe LatAm Positions| Programs Legal Communications